The software I am talking about is "K9 web protection from Blue coat"
Blue Coat® K9 Web Protection is a content filtering solution for your home computer. Its job is to provide you with a family-safe Internet experience, where YOU control the Internet content that enters your home.
Blue Coat's unique Web filtering technology divides Internet content into 60 distinct categories. These categories are stored in the master Blue Coat database, through which we maintain and update more than 15 million ratings of websites and domains. A Web site will fall into one or more of these categories, based on the content of the site. To meet your particular needs and preferences, you can configure the software to block or allow specific categories.
Salient features of K9 Web Protection -
Block 60 Content Categories
Blue Coat's unique Web filtering technology divides Internet content into 60 content categories. These categories are stored in the master Blue Coat database, through which we maintain and update more than eight million ratings of websites and domains. A Web site will fall into one or more of these categories, based on the content of the site. To meet your particular needs and preferences, you can configure the software to block or allow specific categories.
K9 Web Protection enables you to restrict the time of day users can access Web sites. If there are specific times when you do and do not want your family accessing the Web, this feature assists you in enforcing that policy.
Web Site Exceptions
In addition to the defined and custom protection levels, K9 Web Protection allows you to explicitly block or allow access to specific Web sites. For example, K9 is blocking a site, but you want to allow access to it, but not any others in the category.
K9 Web Protection offers an audible feature in which the application plays a bark when a user attempts to access a blocked site. This feature is useful to alert a parent, teacher, or other care provider that someone under his or her supervision might be stumbling onto offensive or inappropriate content.
K9 also enables Time Out Settings. If a user attempts to visit too many blocked sites in a specified period of time, K9 completely blocks access to the Web for a specified time.
K9 Web Protection offers the option of enforcing the use of Google SafeSearch, which diminishes the amount of adult material that might be returned as a result of an Internet search. This feature is enabled by default. Currently, K9 Web Protection supports the safe search functionality of the Google Search Engine only.
View Reports of Internet Activity
K9 Web Protection allows you to view reports of all Internet browsing activity and administrative actions.
How to use K9 Web Protection
Download procedure -
- You must register for a license key before downloading the file.
- Fill up the small form with basic information.
- An email will be sent to you on the email address you mentioned. This email will explain the installation process and shall also contain the licence key (see image).
- Click here to download this software. (This link can also found in the Email that you recieved from K9 web protection.)
- Select the operating system (Windows/Mac) and start the download. Save the software file in your computer.
- k9-webprotection.exe (621kb) file will be saved on your computer.
Installation procedure -
- Doubleclick on k9-webprotection.exe file to start install application
- Click on I Agree to continue the installation
- Choose an installation location.
- At the install licence page, copy the licence key from the email, paste it into the licence field and click on Next.
- Enter a K9 administrator password and click next. (remember this password as you will need it to disinstall K9 web protection software from your computer.)
- Select program shortcuts you want and click on Install
- You must restart your computer to begin protecting your system.
Download user manual for detail information on how to use K9 web protection system. Using this manual you can configure the product as per your requirements.
Install K9 web protection and feel safe letting your kids on the Internet.